Friday, February 19, 2021

 Choosing Fabrics for a Peaceable and Harmonious Quilt




Snuggling down into a handmade quilt, with a cup of coffee and a good book, can turn an average day into an awesome one.  Wrapped in that cocoon made with love, brings peace and contentment to my soul.  This is why I quilt.  I want every quilt I make, big or small, to carry love and peace to its recipient.

Achieving that goal starts with finding fabrics that will work harmoniously together to produce a finished quilt that is peaceable.  This is the most important step in creating your quilt.  This process can be daunting, and you will get overwhelmed if you overthink it.  At Hancock Fabrics, I was often called to help customers with this process.  It is also one of the most creative and fun parts of quilting!




Here is how I do it:

If you are using a pattern, use it as a guide for how many different fabrics you will need.  Most patterns will suggest which fabrics should be a small print, a large print, or a solid.

Next, decide on your main colors or a focus fabric.  I usually start with a print I like.  Then start pulling pieces that you like and think will work.  Stack fabrics together, so you can see each piece.  This is the time to let your creativity loose and be open to possibilities.  Throw in that piece of hot pink or lime green and see how it works.  Try a stripe or chevron.  You aren't making any decisions here, just tossing in potential winners.

Then start eliminating.  There will be one that you love but just doesn't flow with the others.  Be brave and save it for next time.  Continue adding and eliminating fabrics until you have what you need.  I this example I needed 7 fabrics.
Check out your choices in different lighting.  If you aren't happy with what you have in your stash, you may need to go shopping.

Unfortunately, I found what I needed in my stash.  This is what I ended up with.


Remember this is art, not an exact science.  Trust your own creativity and have fun.  There are no right or wrong choices here, just good and better ones.  If you like what you see, chances are others will like it also.

At this point, if I'm still not sure, I walk away.  Sometimes I'll make a couple of test squares and put them up on my design wall.  Then I go get a cup of coffee and take a break.  Hopefully, when I walk back into the studio, one will speak to me.  But no matter what, at some point, I have to make a choice.

Otherwise, I'll never start a quilt, much less finish one.  And the blessing God intends it to be will never be received.

Do you have a method for picking out fabrics?  Tells us about it in the comments.




"I will not buy any more fabric until I use up the stash I have at home", I said.

Then I laughed and laughed and laughed!


2 comments:

  1. "Wrapped in that cocoon made with love, brings peace and contentment to my soul."
    This makes me want to go grab one of my quilts and cover up! So delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is a quilter, I know that each and every quilt that she makes is prayed over before it goes to it's intended recipient! Blessings to you as you do God's work creating snuggly pieces of art!

    ReplyDelete