Monday, March 30, 2020

Workshop Tour

My sewing studio-Atelier 54

I am so excited to share my sewing space with you!  After months of working a bit at a time, my workshop, Atelier 54, is mostly ready to go.  I still have some finishing touches to do, but it is organized and set to sew! 

I'm blessed to have a large room in our basement to work with.  My husband wanted me to paint the walls a bright color, but I wanted to stick with white.  That way the true colors of the fabrics are seen and not compromised when I take pictures.  My office upstairs is painted apricot and every picture taken there has an orange tinge.

My sewing desk was in the room when we bought the house.  It must have been built in the room, because it is too big to fit through the door.  I  painted it and added a vintage sewing picture to the front.




Against the wall, i placed a board over another desk to hold a cutting board for  trimming and a small press mat.  In the corner of the two desks, I have a filing cabinet for patterns.


 Vintage thread and ironing advertisement decorate the walls with shelves for sewing treasures and supplies.


There is a pegboard in the corner to hold my quilting stencils.


The pressing station is a board covered with batting and heavy canvas set on top of a dresser.  The top drawer contains pressing aids and the bottom two has hopeful projects and UFO's.



The back wall has quilting fabrics colorized with the black fabric bins holding smaller pieces.

Backing fabrics  are in the black shelves with serger, on top.

Novelty fabrics are housed in cubbies with thread  racks on top and small see through tubes that contain notions.

Under shelf is storage for interfacing, batting, bins for yarn and needlework projects, etc.



I'm not a fabric hoarder.
 I am the curator of an extensive textile collection!




Cutting area has pegboard for rulers and cutting tools.  I also have clips to hang notes and book holder if I am using pattern from book or a magazine.







Next to the cutting area is my design area.  The design wall was made from foam board, batting and covered it in flannel.



Completing the design area is a desk for quilt design, art journaling and scrapbooking.

There was an old fashioned pencil sharpener  already mounted to the wall.  That is perfect since I am always losing my sharpeners.


A bookcase holds my collection of quilting and sewing books and magazines.









I hope this tour inspires you and gives you some ideas for your space.  I can't wait to get started sewing in this space!  You can see a bit of my first project on the design wall, a quilt I'm calling Fan Dance.
I'll post here when the pattern and quilt is available.

Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment